The 1745 Association Banner
and the Raising of the Standard at Glenfinnan
The 1745 Association's banner was made in 1964 by Association member Pat Newton (now Pat Labistour). Pat has been a member of the Association since 1960 and so is not quite the person with the longest membership record (that accolade goes to Louie Donald) but 47 not out is a good innings
The banner was designed to be a replica of that raised by the Jacobite Duke of Atholl at Glenfinnan on August 19 1745. There are several accounts of the appearance of the banner but as they sometimes contradict each other none is conclusive.The design of the banner is the best composite approximation that Pat was able to produce.
In the account below Mrs Labistour writes of some accounts of the Standard having a blue border and mentions the sources of this information. There is at least one other. In his four volume book "The Life and Adventures of Prince Charles Edward Stuart" W. Drummond Norie writes (Vol 1, p169) "the silken emblem of the Stuarts spread out its gay folds of red, white and blue". Unfortunately Norie provides no source for this claim.
Article from "The Jacobite" No 97 Summer 1998
(I presume "1988" in the first line is a typographical error).
The precise place where the Standard was raised is unknown. Not even "The Lyon in Mourning" sheds any light on the exact spot. It is unlikely that that the site of the present day monument was the place, as this ground was, and still is, rather boggy. The Standard was almost certainly raised on higher ground but where?
The Prince and his companions had arrived at Glenfinnan by boat. The journey along the loch had started the previous day from Dalilea at the southwestern end of Loch Shiel. The journey was broken for the night at Glenaladale on the western shore. Is it not likely that the little boats would have stayed reasonably close to the western shore of the loch until they reached the head of the loch? The River Finnan disgorges into the northern end of the loch so perhaps it is reasonable to surmise that the Prince landed to the west of the river near the head of the loch. In his book "The '45" Christopher Duffy quotes (p 171) an anonymous writer whose account entitled "An Account of Proceedings from Prince Charles' Landing to Prestonpans". This is reproduced in The Miscellany of the Scottish History Society, IX, Edinburgh, 1958.
"The Prince then ordered the Duke of Perth to carry the Standard (Duffy) 'to the other side of the River Finnan'"
As such it seems likely that the Standard was raised on the eastern side of the River Finnan probably on the hilly ground (Torr á Choit) behind the present-day visitor centre. This site also affords the most spectacular views down Loch Shiel.
1. The Glenfinnan Monument
2. Slatach where the Prince possibly landed.
3. Recently discovered slabs of rock on high ground above the river. Inscriptions and symbols carved probably in the mid-19th century, claim this to be the place where the ceremony took place.
4.Torr á Choit where the Standard was possibly raised.
The photograph above is that of a place where the Standard was possibly raised The rock inscription reads:
Translated approximately :
IN THE NAME OF THE LORD, THE STANDARD OF CHARLES EDWARD STUART WAS SET UP IN 1745, TRIUMPHANT AT LAST.
Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham designed the Monument and it was built in 1815 by Alexander Macdonald of Glenaladale (who died before completion aged 28). The stone tower originally had a two-storied shooting box attached. It was removed in the 1830s, when the octagonal perimeter wall was built and the statue of a Highlander was added at the top. The statue was carved by stone mason John Greenshields (c.1792-1838). In his book "Seven Centuries; a history of the Lockharts of Lee and Carnwath" Simon MacDonald asserts that the statue was supposed to be fashioned after a likeness of Prince Charles in Lee Castle. Two portraits hung in the castle side by side and Greenshield mistakenly chose the one not of the Prince but of George Lockhart Yngr. After the mistake was discovered Greenshields is reported to have said, "Well, be that as it may, I shall stand by model, it is a thousand times more fit than the Prince in tartan pantaloons." (Ref. Jacobite Magazine 124, Summer 2007)
James Gillespie Graham (1776 - 1855) was born in Dunblane. He was one of the most successful architects of the 19th century. His work includes St. Andrew's Cathedral in Glasgow, St. Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, Armadale Castle on Skye, Duns Castle in Berwickshire, Murthly Castle in Perthshire, Inverary Courthouse in Argyll and Torrisdale Castle in Argyll
Back to Homepage
Annual Gathering 2008
More from Loch nan Uamh
The Jacobite Magazine
Join the 1745 Association